Artificial Intelligence in Schools: How AI is Transforming Classrooms
Technology is not something completely new to schools. Think about making presentations: in the old days, students would present their projects on poster boards, but today several audio and video resources are used. New technologies change how business is done and how services are provided, and education is also affected by it.
AI is one of the main technologies responsible for changing the way education is provided. Its machine learning feature, which is the learning ability of machines, make it very adjustable.
AI software may be fed with a huge amount of information. This improves their learning mechanisms and enable the machine to better understand what a student’s difficulties are in certain subjects, creating special content to train them.
Some software is able to anticipate difficulties that students may have in future subjects, depending on what has been added to their memories. Thus, they can prepare an education plan based on the profile and difficulties of this student.
AI may help teachers diagnose serious learning difficulties in students, such as dyslexia or autism.
Additionally, AI is capable of establishing a conversation interface, in which students may ask questions about a subject directly to the machine, without a teacher present. This is known as blended learning.
Students may also use AI to study for exams, as the summarizing algorithms are able to extract the main ideas of a great amount of content. Thus, students can prepare texts for review or comparative analysis.
AI can add value and contribute in several ways to education:
• Offering students full-time mentoring through virtual tutors;
• Providing students with more autonomy and a custom education, which may help evaluate their performance and help plan study schedules according to their difficulties. This would help students to draw a learning line, in short and long-term, based on their preferences, talents and individual needs;
• Gathering and comparing information about each student’s performance; helping the teacher form student groups with the same difficulties; creating challenges for advanced students — which is a great addition to the curriculum of new teaching methods;
- Taking learning outside the classroom walls, expanding the possibilities of the student to learn throughout their life through projects they are interested in.
- There is no doubt AI is working in our favor and we will benefit from it. Human being are smart enough to take advantage of this technology, which was developed to help build a better future.
All of this shows how AI is transforming health, industry and the financial sector. Artificial Intelligence has a huge potential to improve education in Brazil, and maybe in the future, we will be able to use AI strategically, with the purpose of improving student’s learning.